When you first start crafting for charity, the hardest part is often deciding which project to do. It doesn’t matter if you’re new to making handmade goods or have a lot of experience – everyone gets caught up in over thinking what to do and how to do it best.
Fortunately crafting for a cause doesn’t typically involve reinventing the wheel or having to determine the best possible approach. Many nonprofits have established patterns which take out any guesswork. Even better, since detailed directions are provided you have the opportunity to try something you’ve always wanted to do, but didn’t have the need to make before.
If you are an experienced maker, crafting things to donate is a perfect way to destash your fabric, yarn, beads, etc. I had a wonderful time during my self-imposed destash challenge, because the purpose of each creation was just to make something gift-worthy. So the beads I didn’t love, but I was still saving “just in case”? Those were the first to be integrated into some designs.
If you are newer to crafting, making handmade donations is a wonderful way to gain more experience and find which mediums speak to you most.
Craft Handmade Donations For Charity
The ideas below are a general high-level list and I have also included some organizations need:
- Blankets – quilts, no sew fleece, knitted, or crocheted
- Pillowcases – 100% cotton, flannel (from no smoking, pet free home)
- Hats and gowns for NICU babies
- Port pillow (aka “softies”) for chemo patients
- Inspirational flannel hearts for preemies
- Handmade cards of all sizes
- Bows and headbands
- Small pieces of handmade art
- Small handmade toys
- Hats for people of all ages – knitted, sewn, or no-sew
- Scarves – knitted, sewn, or no-sew
- Animal toys made from fabric scraps
- Toiletry bags (that you can also fill with goodies)
Take a look at the Donation Inspiration section of the site for detailed project tutorials and new, innovative ideas. As the site grows, so will this section of the site. If you have any ideas or projects you’d like to share, please contact us.