I have designed some free cat SVG files to give you a head start on your handmade card donations in case your stumped on what to do.
Because, I don’t know about you, but a draw-something-original artist I am not. So when I first started making handmade cards to donate, I had to come up with alternatives if I wanted to create more than one card at a time.
I mean, I am capable of drawing flowers or rudimentary dinosaurs, dogs, or cats. And doodling? I’ve got that covered and can doodle and then color it in with the best of them!
Fortunately, making handmade cards is not just dependent on your artistic abilities. It is largely based on the materials you have on-hand and the amount of time you have to dedicate to making cards.
So, while I may not be able to draw freehand, I can fashion digital designs of all kinds, based on someone’s interest.
In fact, I love to use various images and fonts to create SVG designs for sale in my Whimsical Walney Etsy shop.
I also like to create FREE SVG designs to offer here at Create To Donate so that people can use them for personal projects like handmade cards, prints, or even t-shirts or totes.
How Much Time Do You Have To Make Cards?
When I make handmade cards to donate to various organizations, my materials and approach are largely based on the amount of time I have.
For example, if I am really tight on time, I typically go one of two “easy effort” routes.
Today, I’m going to explain those two methods and leave the other options to some future posts.
Easy Card-Making Option 1: Print, Fold, Write, Repeat
My first approach to time-crunched card making is suuper easy. For materials, all you need is a printer, printer paper, and a marker. And the process goes a little something like this:
– Print your favorite design on printer paper. Why not start with one of the free cat SVG files below or one of my free basketball card designs?
– Fold the paper in half with the design on the outside (thereby forming a typical card).
– Write a fun or inspirational message on the inside of the card with a pen or marker. Remember to sign with your first name only and your home state if you’d like.
– Repeat the first three steps until your time is up.
Easy Card-Making Option 2: Print, Cut, Fold, Glue, Write, Repeat
My second approach to tight-on-time card making is only slightly more difficult and requires some additional supplies.
The materials you’ll need are:
- a printer and printer paper,
- construction paper or card stock,
- a pen or marker to write your message,
- scissors or a rotary cutter and a ruler
For this approach, I typically print the design twice on a single piece of paper since I’m going to trim it down and glue it onto the card stock.
The process for this easy handmade card is as follows:
– Print the design of your choice on a piece of paper (as I mentioned, I double up to get two cards in one piece of paper).
– Fold the piece of construction paper or card stock in half.
– Cut the printed design down to size so that it fits nicely onto the front of the folded card stock. With design pictured above, I cut it down to 7.5″ high x 5″ wide.
– Glue the trimmed design onto the front of the folded card stock.
– Write an inspirational message on the inside of the card.
And the best part? Even if you just simply followed along with this post, you’ll already have three cards made!
To make even more in one sitting, just do some batch printing ahead of time and then crank ’em out. You’ll have a big batch of handmade cards to donate in no time.
Handmade Card Designs For Cat Lovers
These three free cat SVG designs are for personal use only.
Free Cat SVG File: You are purrfect & sweet!
To download the free “You’re purrfect and sweet” cat design as a JPG file click here.
To download the free “You’re purrfect and sweet” cat design as a ZIP file that includes an SVG and a JPG click here.
Free Cat SVG File: You are the cat’s meow!
To download the free “You are the cat’s meow!” design as a JPG file click here.
To download the free “You are the cat’s meow!” design as a ZIP file with an SVG and JPG image click here.
Free Cat SVG File: You are purrfect!
To download the free “You are purrfect!” design as a JPG file click here.
To download the free “You are purrfect!” design as a ZIP file with an SVG and JPG image click here.
Be A Cool Cat, Donate Handmade Cards!
No matter your age or stage, making and donating handmade cards is something that will always make a difference to someone in need of a pick-me-up. It’s such a simple gesture that has a lasting impact on the recipient. And it will also have a personal impact because, well, it’s relaxing and just plain fun!
Share The Goods
I welcome new design ideas that I can offer for free to support your handmade card making!
So, please leave a comment below about the types of cards design that are your favorites to give or receive as well as design ideas you feel are missing.