This DIY motivational wrap bracelet for cancer patients is a thoughtful item to include in a chemo care package for her or just a “thinking of you” standalone gift.
And with friendship bracelets being all the rage (don’t call it a comeback?) the variety of materials you can use to make a bracelet are back in the spotlight.
Some people stick to the tried and true embroidery thread or hemp cord. Others may use stringing cord or stretch bead cord.
Over the years, I’ve used all of them depending on the beads I want to string. I also take the purpose of the bracelet into account.
I also like to see where I can upcycle and use less conventional materials. In fact, for over a decade, I have used t-shirts to make wrap bracelets.
At one point, it was the main component of my Words To Sweat By bracelets for fitness fans and fanatics.
What Bracelet Materials Are Best For Cancer Patients?
As makers, however, there are certain things we should take into account when making any type of jewelry for cancer patients.
Sensitive and dry skin is often a side effect for many people going through chemotherapy.
So, it’s important to use soft and flexible materials (just like when making crochet chemo caps) because a bracelet touches a person’s skin directly.
The clear stretch cord or white elastic cord are popular for all kinds of bracelets because they, well, stretch.
And its strechiness makes it much easier to craft something that is “one size fits all”.
When stringing an motivational wrap bracelet for cancer patients, though, you don’t want anything that would feel too tight against the skin.
Especially if the person’s wrists swell during treatment.
If you do choose to use stretch or elastic cord, make the bracelet just a little but bigger than usual.
Let’s Make A Motivational Bracelet For Chemo Patients
For this easy DIY wrap bracelet tutorial, I decided to dig into my jersey knit fabric stash again.
It’s the perfect bracelet material for chemo patients because it’s soft of the skin.
Jersey knit also has a lot of give so it should never feel too tight.
Using jersey knit as bracelet stringing material is also good for little hands.
In fact, it’s great for anyone who has a harder time gripping thin stringing cord.
Because the “cord” is thicker, it’s important to have letter beads with a large diameter hole for this project.
I like using the square letter beads and even found some that glow in the dark!
Once you have gathered all the materials, jot down some inspirational words you might use.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- You are loved (stacked)
How Does Someone Wear A Motivational Wrap Bracelet?
It’s easy to put on a motivational wrap bracelet!
You just wind the wrap around your wrist until it fits as snuggly as you like.
You will likely need to shift the letter beads around to place there where you want.
If you need to see it in action, watch the video tutorial included in this post that walks you through how to make and wear the mantra wrap bracelet.
Print-ready Tutorial: Make A Motivational Bracelet For A Cancer Warrior
- Alphabet beads
- Jersey knit fabric or an old cotton t-shirt without side seams
- Scissors or rotary cutter (& mat)
How to Prepare the Stringing Material: Knit Fabric
- Layout your jersey knit fabric on your cutting service so that it lays flat.
- Cut a single 1/2" strip that is the width of the fabric.
- Start at one end and pull the strip so that it curls.
- You need a minimum of 36" of fabric after pulling it for the wrap bracelet.
How To Prepare the Stringing Material: T-shirt with No Seams
- Lay the t-shirt out flat on your cutting mat or work table
- Cut off the top of the shirt just below the armpits.
- Cut one 1/2" strips from the t-shirt. (This is a good time to cut multiple strips if you intend to make more than one bracelet)
- Take the end of each side of the t-shirt strip and pull so that it curls.
- Cut open the t-shirt strip so that it is no longer a loop and, instead, has two ends.
Add Letter Beads To Your Stringing Material
- Decide what word you'd like to add to your bracelet.
- Place the letters on a flat surface and spell out the word with the letters right side up and in the correct order.
- String the beads onto the knit material in order.
- Finish the bracelet with an overhand knot.
Admire Your Handiwork!
As an member of certain affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Gildan Adult Ultra Cotton T-Shirt with Pocket, Style G2300, 2-Pack, Sport Grey, X-Large
700PCS White Letter Beads Alphabet Beads for Jewelry Making DIY Necklace Bracelet (6mm)
DIYDEC 1000pcs Glow in The Dark Letter Beads Acrylic Glow Alphabet Beads UV Luminous Square Letter Beads for Bracelets Jewelry Making DIY Crafts Gifts for Girls Adults
39 Pcs Rotary Cutter Set Pink - Quilting Kit incl. 45mm Fabric Cutter with 5 Extra Blades, A4 Cutting Mat, Craft Knife Set, Quilting Ruler and Sewing Clips, Ideal for Crafting, Sewing, Patchworking
Will You Make Motivational Wrap Bracelets For Cancer Patients?
I hope you have as much fun making these as I did.
This simple gesture will easily brighten someone’s day.