This lip balm holder keychain will become an easy go-to gift or donation when you’re in the mood to work through your stash of fabric scraps.
As long as you have some split rings on hand, you can easily crank out this project in less than 20 minutes. If you’re super speedy with your cutting and sewing, it will only take 10 minutes.
If you want to throw some additional scrap busting projects into the mix, you can make this small pouch for masks with cotton scraps or this motivational mantra wrap bracelet with jersey knit scraps.
Since this project is so straightforward, I’m not going to wax eloquent on the benefits and uses of a lip balm holder because, well, isn’t it obvious?
So let’s just get down to business.
Materials For A Lip Balm Holder
The materials and tools you need are as follows:
- A large fabric scrap – you will need to be able to cut a rectangle that is 9″ x 4″.
- A split ring (any size will do).
- A ruler and rotary cutters or scissors.
- Sewing clips (because they make life easier).
- Sewing machine
Let’s Make A Lip Balm Holder Keychain
As sewing projects go, this lip balm holder keychain is great for beginners because it uses straight stitches and standard processes.
To get things started, cut a fabric rectangle that measures 9″ x 4″.
Some people call for a smaller width of fabric, but I want this lip balm holder keychain to fit both the Chapstick brand and EOS lip balm tubes. I therefore made this holder a little bit wider than others.
After you cut your fabric to size, fold it in half with right sides together so that the long edges are touching.
Use a 1/4″ seam allowance to sew the long edge of the folded fabric, then turn the fabric right sides out.
You want both ends to be finished (not raw edges that might fray) therefore fold them both toward the inside of the tube about 1/8″ – 1/4″.
Sew one of the edges closed since it will be part of the finished look, but it’s OK not to sew the other edge closed right now unless you feel the need.
Thread about 1″ of the unfinished end of the fabric through the split ring and fold it over the ring.
I chose to clip it together so that it didn’t shift before I made my way to the sewing machine, but it’s not necessary.
Sew the pieces together about 1/4″ away from the edge of the fabric. This will finish the edge and secure the split ring.
I also did a zigzag stitch on the edge to add some extra strength, but it’s not required. I like to add some extra oomph to that end because I know there will be a lot of tugging as the holder is attached to things and bumped around throughout the day. And, a little extra stitching rarely hurts.
Set the fabric down so that the now finished edge faces down and the split ring is pointing up.
Take the bottom edge of the fabric tube and fold it toward the top edge at the 3″ mark. Clip to prepare for sewing.
Remember: You want to leave a little gap at the top so it’s easy to get the lip balm tube out of the holder.
Use a 1/8″ seam allowance to sew each side of the lip balm holder keychain closed.
And you’re done!
DIY Lip Balm Holder Keychain Tutorial
A lip balm holder keychain makes it easy to carry lip balm with you at all times.
You don't have to go searching in a bag or purse since you can easily attach the fabric lip balm holder to almost anything.
This easy DIY project is something people can use any time of year.
This lip balm holder is a thoughtful gift for anyone going through chemotherapy or any other treatment that impacts their skin.
- Large fabric scrap
- Split ring
- Rotary cutter & mat
- Sewing clips
- Sewing machine
- Cut a piece a 9" x 4" piece of cotton fabric.
- Fold the fabric right sides together so that the long edges are touching.
- Use a 1/4" seam allowance to sew the edges together, creating a fabric tube.
- Turn the fabric tube right sides out.
- Fold the each of the short edges about 1/4" toward the inside of the tube.
- Sew one of the folded edges closed by top stitching.
- Thread about 1" of the other end of the fabric tube through the split ring.
- Fold the fabric over the ring.
- Sew the folded edge to the longer part of the tube to encase the split ring.
- Turn the fabric tube so that split ring edge is at the top and up the recently sewn edge faces down.
- Fold 3" of fabric toward the split ring and clip.
- Finish the lip balm holder keychain by sewing the side edges closed.
As an member of certain affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Teskyer Flat Key Chain Rings, 4 Sizes Round Split Metal Key Rings for Organizing Home Car Office Keys and Accessories, 40 Count in Box, Silver (0.98INCH, 1.10INCH, 1.25INCH, 1.37INCH)
MumCraft Multipurpose Sewing Clips with Tin Box Package, Assorted Colors, Pack of 100
Rotary Cutter Set Pink - Quilting Kit incl. 45mm Fabric Cutter, 5 Replacement Blades, A3 Cutting Mat, Acrylic Ruler and Craft Clips - Ideal for Crafting, Sewing, Patchworking, Crochet & Knitting