This DIY clear toiletry bag for women can be used for toiletry items, hair accessories, or make up.
It should only take around 10 minutes to make and is a great beginner project for people learning how to work with vinyl.
For those who need to travel via airplane, the clear bag should meet TSA 3-1-1 liquid rules because they can see through it and it’s just the right size for several small bottles.
Who Needs Clear Vinyl Bags With Zippers?
Toiletry bags like these aren’t just for women. If you make these clear vinyl bags in various sizes, they can also be used instead of gallon plastic bags when someone is making hygiene kits.
These kits are in high demand for organizations of all kinds, especially nonprofits like shelters and those serving children in foster care. The most basic donations typically include items like:
– Toothbrush and toothpaste
– Lip balm
– Hand wipes
For larger kits for shelters, you might also include socks (these are the #1 requested item for shelters) and some non-perishable foods like granola bars or crackers.
Let’s Make A Clear Toiletry Bag in 10 Minutes
The construction of this bag really is as simple as it gets. The only possible challenging part is working with the vinyl if you haven’t sewn with it before.
Materials & Tools To Sew a Toiletry Bag For Women
The materials you need for this clear vinyl bag are:
The vinyl for this bag is sold by the yard at the usual box stores like JoAnn Fabrics. You will typically find it in the home decor section on one of the big rolls. The width of the ‘fabric’ is typically around 54″ so even just one yard can produce a lot of clear bags.
The vinyl is also reasonably priced without a coupon so if you do have an available coupon this can be a really cost effective purchase.
If you’re new to vinyl, I recommend buying an extra yard because you will end up finding a variety of additional uses for it once you start sewing with it.
– 7″ zipper
This can be a “sport” zipper like the one I used, or just your average zipper. If you’re making these to donate, you can get a batch of colorful zippers on Amazon like these (affiliate link) and have fun with the color of the zipper and the ribbon.
– 1″ grosgrain ribbon
The grosgrain ribbon can be a solid color or printed with a pattern. I have a bunch of fun patterns that I’m excited to use that add a little extra to the bag. If you’re making these to donate, solid colors certainly make them more versatile.
PRO TIP: Remember to fold over the ends of the grosgrain ribbon before sewing so that they are finished and won’t fray. Also, I chose 1″ ribbon so that it will fold easily and evenly when you encase the two vertical sides of the vinyl bag.
– Rotary cutter and mat
With cotton fabric you can use either a rotary cutter or scissors. Cutting vinyl, however, is MUCH easier if you have a rotary cutter.
So, if you plan on making for than a couple of these, I highly recommend getting a rotary cutter and mat. And don’t let the prices scare you because you will use them SO frequently that the tools will more than earn their keep.
If you are shopping for name brands like Olfa, they do go on sale (deeper than 20% off) at JoAnn Fabrics at least once a year.
– Sewing machine
A sewing machine is a must and I don’t use any special needles for this project. The universal needle suits me just fine.
Easy DIY Toiletry Bag For Women Video Tutorial
- Sewing clips
- Rotary cutter
- Sewing machine
- Cut an 8" x 16" piece of vinyl. Do not remove the tissue paper.
- Cut two 9" pieces of grosgrain ribbon.
ATTACH ZIPPER TO VINYL
- Place the vinyl right side facing up (the side without the tissue).
- Take the zipper and place it right side down on one of the short eges (8" edge) of the vinyl.
- Use the sewing clips to clip the zipper to the vinyl.
- Use a 1/4" allowance to sew the zipper to the vinyl.
- Place the vinyl right sides facing up.
- Take the unattached side of the zipper and place it right side down onto the raw edge.
- Use the sewing clips to clip the zipper to the vinyl.
- Use a 1/4" seam allowance to sew the other side of the zipper to the vinyl.
- Turn the bag right sides out through one of the sides. The zipper tab should now be on the outside of the bag.
ATTACH THE RIBBON TO THE VINYL
- Shift the zipper down the 'front' of the bag by about one inch so that the zipper is on the front of the pouch and not the top.
- Take one piece of ribbon and an edge over 1/2".
- Fold the ribbon in half.
- Line up the folded edge of the ribbon with the top of the bag.
- Encase the edge of the bag in the folded ribbon.
- Clip the ribbon in place.
- Repeat steps 2 - 6 with the second piece of ribbon.
- Use a zigzap stitch to sew the ribbon to the vinyl.
ENJOY USING THE FINISHED BAG
The bag is complete! You can place hygiene items in it or hair accessories or make up.
- This vinyl bag design is not intended for use with food.
- If you don't have a 7" zipper available just increase the width of the vinyl so that it's 1" more than your zipper size. So, if you have a 9" zipper, you'll want to cut the bag to 10" x 16" If you want it to stay square, you'll want the vinyl to meausre 10" x 20".
As an member of certain affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Coats: Thread & Zippers F45 7-2-BLK Sport Closed Bottom Zipper, 7", Black
Chenkou Craft Assorted of 20 Yards Grosgrain Ribbon Total 20 Colors Mix Lots Bulk (1"(25mm))
Rotary Cutter Set Pink - Quilting Kit incl. 45mm Fabric Cutter, 5 Replacement Blades, A3 Cutting Mat, Acrylic Ruler and Craft Clips - Ideal for Crafting, Sewing, Patchworking, Crochet & Knitting
Join Our Crafty Crew!
Subscribe to the newsletter to become part of the Create To Donate Crafty Crew if you are looking to make a difference in your communities by supporting organizations in need.
If you would like monthly project inspiration and information straight to your inbox as well as some fun freebies, join our community today.
Looking For More Crafts For A Cause?
If you want additional inspiration, check out some of the ideas on this Craft For A Cause Pinterest board.