This DIY essential oil diffuser bracelet is super easy to make and will soon become one of your favorite accessories.
There are a several ways you can make an essential oil diffuser bracelet and a variety of materials you can use.
While some bracelets use leather, clay, or wool as the diffusing element, a lot of them use lava rock beads because they’re easy to purchase and easy to use.
Regardless of which type of diffuser bracelet you choose, it will have a lasting impact on your ability to integrate essential oils into your self-care daily routine.
How Does An Essential Oil Diffuser Bracelet Work?
Understanding how a lava rock diffuser bracelet works may feel like a throwback to middle school science class.
It all comes down to the difference between non-porous and porous materials.
The simplest explanation is that non-porous materials are a uniform surface with no cavities. Some examples of non-porous materials are: glass, processed metals, and plastics.
Porous materials, in contrast, have small openings or holes. Some examples of porous materials are: human skin, sponges, pumice, and…you guessed it, lava rocks.
Since lava rock is a porous materials, the lava rock beads quickly absorb the oil in no-mess fashion.
The scent of the oil is then diffused by the bead throughout the day.
Which Essential Oils Should I Use For My Diffuser Bracelet?
As you might expect, when it comes to essential oils a lot of people have an opinion about which brand and which scents are best.
Strangely, I am not one of those people.
Which Essential Oils Brands Are Best?
I will tell you my approach to purchasing oils, however.
When I am deciding which essential oil to purchase, I look at the price point and the company’s reputation in the health and wellness sector.
The NOW brand, for example, has been a reputable brand many years so I was fairly confident they would produce a good essential oil product. Fortunately, I haven’t been disappointed.
When I first started using essential oils, I typically stuck with the tried and true scents, but also wanted to branch out a little.
So I purchased this ArtNaturals aromatherapy essential oil set on Amazon (*affiliate link) to provide options at a reasonable price.
Which Essential Oil Scents Are Best For A Bracelet?
Where I don’t feel too strongly about which essential brands you MUST purchase, I do have an opinion on which scents you should use.
And my opinion is this: Use whatever suits your fancy and your sinuses.
Yes, there are plenty of articles and blog posts detailing when to use lavender, or peppermint, or citrus.
If you don’t like any of those scents, though, it’s a moot point.
Even more important? If you’ve ever had a reaction to a recommended scent then using it essential oil form will only heighten the smell.
What I can tell you? If you plan to wear your diffuser bracelet all day, make sure you use an oil with a scent you and those around you can withstand for extended periods of time.
DIY Essential Oil Diffuser Bracelet
Now its time to get to crafting! This DIY essential oil bracelet should take less than 30 minutes and uses only a couple of materials.
How To Make A Simple Essential Oil Bracelet
- Hemp twine
- Hemp cord in color of choice
- Finishing beads with large diameter hole
- Lava rock bead
- Small strip of painters tape
- Tacky glue
PREPARE MATERIALS & WORKSPACE
Start preparing your materials by cutting the hemp twine and hemp cord to size.
You can use hemp cord for all of it, but the twine's stiffness makes it easier to thread it through the lava rock bead.
For this essential oil diffuser bracelet you need:
- One 30" piece of hemp twine.
- Two 90" pieces of hemp cord in a color of your choice.
- One 20" piece of hemp cord in a color of your choice.
- One 8mm lava rock bead.
- Two finishing beads with large diameter holes.
You don't need a large workspace to make an essential oil bracelet. Some people even just attach to a clipboard so it's portable.
What you do need, however, is enough space to move your hands and arms while you are knotting.
HOW TO MAKE AN ESSENTIAL OIL DIFFUSER BRACELET
- Take the two pieces of 90" cord and fold them in half.
- Pinch the cord ends between your thumb and forefinger and line up all four of the open ends of the cord.
- Measure 5" from the end fo the cord and integrate the 30" piece of hemp twine. The twine will be your center cord.
- Use an overhead knot to tie all of the pieces together.
- Take a piece of painter's tape and tap the loose ends you just tied together to a hard surface.
- Separate the colored cord from the hemp twine and tape the twine down to the surface as well around the 20" mark.
- Create a 3" length of square knots.
- Thread the lava rock bead onto the center cord.
- Test the bracelet to gauge for size and bead placement. Remove the bead and add extra knots as needed.
- After adding the bead, start knotting again to add around 2.5" of square knots to finish the length of the essential oil diffuser bracelet.
- Test the bracelet again to see that it's the right shape and bead placement for your wrist.
- Use an overhand knot to tie off the end of the bracelet.
- Take two ends of the colored cord and thread them through one of the finishing beads.
- Tie a knot at the end to secure the bead.
- Take two ends from the other side of the bracelet and thread the second bead through them.
- Tie a knot at the end to secure the bead.
- Trim the excess cords on both end of the bracelet to that it's almost flush with the knot.
- Use the 20" length of cord to create about an inch of square knots that bind the two ends together. This will also create an adjustable closure.
- Trim the excess cord and use a dab of glue to stick the small tail to the sides of the knot closure.
- Drop 1 - 2 drops of the essential oil of your choice on the lava bead. Let it stand for ~30 minutes, then wear and enjoy!
- This project approaches a square knot bracelet a little bit differently to accommodate the small diameter hold of the lava rock bead. Typically, there would be two center cords and a single strand would be used for the knotting cords.
- You can use hemp cord for the entire project. Sometimes the softer cord, however, is harder to thread through the small diameter hold of the lava bead.
As an member of certain affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
100% Hemp Twine Ball 1MM, 100G/430 Ft. - 20 lb. Test Strength - Natural
Natural Hemp Colored String Colorful 12 Variety Pack; Beautiful Twine for Arts Crafts 32ft Per Color
Natural Lava Beads Full Strand 15.5 inch Round Black | Etsy
ArtNaturals Aromatherapy Essential Oil Set - (16 x 10ml Bottles) - 100% Pure of The Highest Therapeutic Grade Quality - Premium Gift Set – Lavender, Peppermint, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus