I was thinking through ideas for fun and original DIY holiday gifts and thought, “Why not make an Among Us appliqué?”
But then I started thinking bigger and landed on making a super cool Among Us crew member stuffie.
Then to add some holiday flair, I could add a Santa hat. Because all the people playing the game love all the different hats in-game.
I could see it SO clearly in my head and was a little giddy at the thought of how cute it would look.
I was super excited to get started so that I could design a free pattern and bring some smiles to readers everywhere.
Fleece or Felt?
Well, the reality check came quickly.
Among Us Crew Member Fail #1: 100% Fleece
My original thinking was to make the Among Us stuffie entirely from fleece.
My rationale was this:
– It would be soft and cozy and still hold its form nicely.
– There are a lot of colors available so making the different characters would be easy enough.
– It would be cost effective since I wouldn’t need yardage. I could use scraps I have on-hand or buy some remnants or smaller pieces at JoAnn’s.
I’ve sewn with fleece a bunch before so I know it can be squirrely but…
What I learned with my first attempt was that the crew member aesthetic didn’t work well with fleece.
The proportions were off – even with an appropriate seam allowance – because even the slightest shifts in the felt threw off the final look.
Among Us Crew Member Fail #2: Felt on fleece
So then I figured I if I used a different material to make the actual crew member and use it like an appliqué on the fleece but still cut out the Among Us crew member shape.
Using felt, the lines would hold their shape nicely and, like fleece, there are a lot of color options.
What you’re seeing in the above picture is a crew member where I had trimmed away the fleece. I had tried to find the right dimensions for a crew member-shaped stuffie with the black felt on white fleece.
Fleece proved to be my nemesis again, however.
The aesthetic still didn’t look right and it wasn’t the cute, cuddly stuffie I had hoped to make.
Among Us Crew Member Fail #3: 100% felt
Even after those first two attempts and failures, I was still committed to making an honest-to-goodness stuffie. I was undeterred.
After all, the third time’s a charm, right?
I decided it was time to take fleece out of the picture completely. It clearly wanted no part of this project.
So 100% felt it would be.
Sadly, that didn’t form the stuffie I wanted either. I planned on sewing them together (not hand stitching) and that threw the aesthetic off too.
It was then that it became clear this Among Us crew member was intended to be a felt appliqué and nothing more. It would be something that can be sewn onto a pillow or tote, or yes, even a fleece blanket.
Construct An Among Us Crew Member Appliqué
So now we finally get to the good part!
It’s time to complete your assigned “tasks” and construct your Among Us crew member felt appliqué.
- 8.5" x 11" black felt
- 8.5" x 11" dark color felt
- 8.5" x 11" lighter color that complements the darker felt
- 5" x 5" light blue felt
- 5" x 5" gray felt
- 3" x 3" white felt
- Rotary cutter & mat or scissors
- Small scissors (for clean corners)
- Hot glue and glue gun
- Sewing machine (optional)
Complete Your First Task: Pattern Download
- Download, print, and cut out the Create To Donate Among Us Felt Applique pattern.
Task: Cut Out All Of The Pattern Pieces
- Cut out the background body piece out of black felt.
- Cut out the main body piece out of the dark color felt.
- Cut out the face piece of out of the lighter color felt.
- Cut out the arm out of the dark color felt.
- Cut out the shoulder out of the lighter color felt.
- Cut out the main eye piece out of light blue felt.
- Cut out the lower eye piece out of gray felt.
- Cut out the smallest eye piece out of white felt.
Task: Construct The Among Us Crew Member Applique
- Set the black background body piece down first.
- Layer the darker felt body piece on top of the black piece so that there is an even black border around the dark felt piece.
- Place the lighter felt face piece on top of the darker felt. The "C" curves should match up completely.
- Place the main arm piece on the left side of the black body piece.
- Place the shoulder piece at the top of the main arm piece.
- Place the light blue main eye piece down in the "C" curve.
- Place the gray piece at the bottom of the main eye piece.
- Place the small white piece of the eye in the remaining light blue space.
Task: Glue, Sew, and Go!
- With all the pieces in place, start by gluing the eye pieces together. Simply pick up a part of the piece, place some glue on it then lay it back down.
- Glue the face onto the dark color body. Don't get too close to the edges, but do make sure that you don't have any large part that isn't tacked down by glue.
- Finish by gluing the dark color body onto the black background.
- If you plan to use the applique on something that will be washed and dried, use a zigzag stitch around all the edges to sew the pieces together.
Task: Add Some Holiday Spirit With A Santa Hat
The pattern also includes a Santa hat you can make to add some holiday flair!
The felt sizing is just a suggestion to get you started. For many of the pieces of the Among Us crew member, you can use different-sized scraps you already have on-hand.
Free SVG Files Are Available
You can easily save time if you have a Silhouette or Cricut! If you plan on making more than one Among Us applique, cut the pattern out of a lightweight cereal box. SVG files are available to newsletter subscribers.
Are You The Impostor Among Us?
How will you use this Among Us felt appliqué? I would love to see what you make so please tag @goodsgivingback on Instagram so I can take a look.
If you are looking for other fun holiday-inspired projects, why not make a light-up holiday wreath with materials from Dollar Tree?
Join The Create To Donate Crew Today!
For the month of December, if you sign up for the Create To Donate newsletter, you will get a set of FREE SVG files you can use to cut out all of the pieces of the Among Us crew member.
I hope you’ll join us!