It takes only 4 steps to make an awareness ribbon you can uses to support causes important to you.
Wearing an awareness ribbon pin may seem like a small thing. If you have friends or family battling a disease represented by one of these ribbons, though? It’s a simple and elegant show of support.
What Are Awareness Ribbons?
My first memory of an “awareness ribbon” was the red ribbon from the early 90s to attention to the AIDS epidemic.
I wanted to know more, though, so I did a little research and found this article about a brief history of the ribbons.
I wasn’t surprised to learn that they may have started in medieval times as something that was given to jousting knights. After all, knights (and their fans) surely were some of the first people to ‘show their colors’.
Which Awareness Ribbon Colors Apply to Which Causes?
So fast forward to 2021 and we have a whole host of ribbon colors that represent a variety of causes.
If fact, one ribbon color often has multiple meanings. You can learn more about the significance of each ribbon color here.
The picture below illustrates some of the more popular awareness ribbons colors and what they signify.
If you are looking to wear an awareness ribbon to support specific cancers here is a comprehensive list of cancer ribbon colors.
4 Simple Steps To Make Awareness Ribbon Pins & Earrings
This tutorial shows walks you through making awareness ribbons in three different sizes so you can use them for a variety of applications.
They are so quick and easy to make you may as well make a bunch of them at once since you already have the tools and materials at hand.
My main focus is making awareness ribbon pins because they are super versatile. These DIY awareness ribbon pins can be worn by anyone or placed on a bag handle or purse strap.
I also demonstrate how to make a pair of earrings because they make a thoughtful gift for someone you know who actively and publicly supports a cause.
Materials and Tools To Make Awareness Ribbon Accessories
The materials you need for this project are:
– Craft felt
Craft felt is readily available in a variety of colors. You can purchase single rectangles at big box stores like Walmart and JoAnn’s has both single felt as individual rectangles and by the yard.
– Pin backing
If you want to make an awareness ribbon pin with the ribbons you make, a pin backing can be glued to the back to secure it.
– Earring posts & backings (2 sets)
The tutorial below includes how to make three different sizes of ribbons. The smallest ribbons make great earrings, so if you want to gift some earrings to a family member or friend, make sure to have some earring posts and backings ready.
– Rotary cutter, mat, and ruler
If you don’t have one already, a rotary cutter is a wonderful tools to have for all of your craft projects. For this project specifically, it reduces the time you need to cut the felt and keeps the lines super clear when used with a ruler or straight edge.
– Glue gun (and glue!)
A dollop of glue is used to secure the felt to itself and then to glue the felt ribbon to the pin tack or earring post.
As an Amazon affiliate, I may receive a small commission if you purchase a product using a link below.
- Pin tack & backing (optional)
- Earring posts & backings (optional)
- Rotary cutter & mat or scissors
- Glue gun
STEP ONE: CUT FELT
- Cut one felt piece measuring 1" x 7"
- Cut another felt piece measuring 1/2" x 4.5".
- Cut two felt pieces measuring 3/8" x 2".
STEP TWO: STRETCH FELT
- Take the large piece of felt by both ends and stretch it out by pulling it taught. It should stretch almost 2 inches.
- Repeat Step 2 with the other two pieces of felt.
STEP THREE: FORM RIBBON
- Take the large piece of felt and form a horseshoe shape with the ends facing down.
- Layer the middle of the right side of the felt over the middle of the left side of the felt to form a loop.
- Repeat these steps with the other pieces of felt.
STEP FOUR: SECURE RIBBON
- Pull the right edge back and place a small dot of glue on the left side of the ribbon then press the right side into the glue to bind the two sides together.
- Repeat with the other pieces of felt.
MAKE AWARENESS RIBBON PINS
- Take a large awareness ribbon and place a dot of glue on the back of the ribbon.
- Take your the flat side of the pin tack and place it on the glue.
- Press the two materials together for a couple of second so that they bind together well.
MAKE AWARENESS RIBBON EARRINGS
- Take the two smallest felt ribbons and glue them to secure the shape if you haven't already.
- Place a small dot of glue on the back of one ribbon and take the flat side of the earring post and place it on the glue.
- Take the second ribbon and glue the other earring post to the felt.
As an member of certain affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Mr. Pen- Felt, Felt Sheets, 10 Pack, 12 x 8 Inch, Assorted Color, Felt Sheets for Crafts, Felt Fabric, Felt for Sewing, Fleece Fabric, Craft Felt, Felt Squares, Felt for Crafts, Craft Felt, Felt Paper
- 100 Pieces Stainless Steel Earrings Posts Flat Pad,100 Pieces Butterfly Earring Backs,100 Pieces Bullet Earring Backs,Total 300 Pieces (8mm)
- eBoot Tie Tacks Blank Pins with PVC Rubber Pin Backs (50)
Join Our Crafty Crew!
Subscribe to the newsletter to become part of the Create To Donate Crafty Crew if you are looking to make a difference in your communities by supporting organizations in need.
If you would like monthly project inspiration and information straight to your inbox as well as some fun freebies, join our community today.