This motivational mantra wrap bracelet made from old t-shirts is the perfect way to add a little fun to your fitness routine.
DIY jewelry is always fun to make and when you can sweat it in without feeling icky? Even better!
As I mentioned in my first post about how to make a fitness motivation bracelet, I am not new to mantra wrap bracelets.
In fact, I used to make A LOT of them. Back then, I stamped metal blanks and layered them over a t-shirt wrap bracelet.
Using T-shirts As Fabric Always Adds Versatility
So I have always been a fan of upcycling t-shirts by incorporating them into DIY jewelry.
T-shirt material (aka jersey knit) is very versatile. It’s stretchy, it doesn’t fray when you cut it, and it’s very forgiving.
Stamping blanks, though? It isn’t for everyone. Stamping takes some time to master and requires tools that are more single-purpose than broad-based (like a Silouette Cameo).
So I decided to recreate one of Words To Sweat By’s most popular mantras with materials and methods that are more accessible to everyone.
This time the motivational mantra wrap bracelet is some t-shirt material, a little bit of heat transfer vinyl, and a little bit of sewing.
If you don’t have a Silhouette or Cricut, you can find smaller pre-fab letters (*affililate link) that will allow you to iron a mantra onto the t-shirt material.
Materials For Your Mantra Wrap T-shirt Bracelet
I wanted to share the materials you’ll need for this project so you can grab them before digging into the video or print-friendly tutorials below.
– 100% cotton t-shirt (for the wrap part of bracelet)
This t-shirt should not have side seams. If you haven’t already, you need to cut off the arms and neck so that you are left with the tube. For this project any size t-shirt will do.
– 100% cotton t-shirt in contrasting color (for the mantra piece of the bracelet)
You only need a small square for this piece so any plain t-shirt scrap will work.
– Scrap piece of fusible fleece
You need a piece that is at least 3″ x 3″ so you have a little extra if necessary.
– Scrap piece of heat transfer vinyl
You need a piece that is at least 3″ x 3″. You can either cut it down to that size immediately or after the design has been cut.
As an Amazon affiliate, I may receive a small commission if you buy a product using one of the below links.
Make A Motivational Mantra Wrap Bracelet With T-Shirts
- 100% plain cotton t-shirt in solid color
- 100% plain cotton t-shirt in contrasting color
- Heat transfer vinyl
- Fusible fleece
- Free "TRANSFORM" SVG Design
- Sewing machine
- Iron and ironing surface
GATHER & PREP MATERIALS
- Grab a 100% t-shirt in a solid color without side seams for the wrap bracelet, another 100% t-shirt in a contrasting color for the mantra piece, fusible fleece, and heat transfer vinyl (HTV).
- If you haven't already, cut off the top of the t-shirt just below the armpits. You want to keep the t-shirt tube intact.
- Cut a 3/4" strip from the t-shirt tube.
- Cut a 2 3/4" x 3 square from the constrasting color t-shirt.
- Cut a 2 3/4" x 3/4" piece of fusible fleece.
- Cut a 3" x 3" square of HTV.
PREPARE HTV DESIGN
- Download the free SVG cut file from Create To Donate. This includes the mantras "TRANSFORM" and "JUST MOVE".
- Upload the SVG file into your design software.
- Prepare the file for cutting then let your machine get to work.
- Weed the design. Use a piece of freezer paper wax-side down, if necessary, to cover the transfer sheet while you weed the smaller font. (This helps keep the sticky stuff extra sticky.)
- Set the design aside for later.
MAKE THE WRAP BRACELET
- Take the 3/4" t-shirt strip and streeeeetch it out. First, pull both ends away from each other, then move the circle through your hands and pull it in smaller sections to make sure it's complete.
- Wrap the t-shirt bracelet around your wrist so that it fits to your liking. Once you find the right amount of wraps, take the whole thing off your wrist and set it aside. Do not undo the wraps, you need them for later.
MAKE THE MANTRA PIECE
- Take the t-shirt square and place it on your ironing surface face down. The slightly longer edge should be vertical.
- Take the piece of fusible fleece, center it on the t-shirt fabric then turn it over and press to fuse the two things together.
- Turn the square over and use the fleece as a guide to place the HTV mantra onto the fabric.
- Cover the fabric with a teflon pressing sheet or parchment paper and use the iron press the HTV onto the fabric following the manufacturer's instructions.
CONSTRUCT THE MOTIVATIONAL BRACELET
- Take the t-shirt square and thread it through the hole of the wrap bracelet. Remember to check that the mantra is facing the right direction.
- Match up the ends of the square and tug lightly to take out a little of the stretch.
- Use sewing clips to clip the ends of the square together to secure for sewing.
- Sew the square edges together by bumping the presser foot up against the wrap bracelet and using the tightest seam possible your machine will allow.
- Trim the excess fabric close (ish) to the seam.
- Turn the bracelet around so the mantra faces out.
- Wear and enjoy!
As an member of certain affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cameo 4 Extras Bundle with Extra AutoBlade, Tool Kit, Cutting mat and PixScan. Silhouette Handbook and 10 White Edition
Siser EasyWeed HTV 11.8" x 3ft Roll - Iron on Heat Transfer Vinyl (Black)
3 Pack PTFE Teflon Sheet for Heat Press Transfer Sheet Non Stick 16 x 20" Heat Transfer Paper Reusable Heat Resistant Craft Mat
Gildan Men's Heavy Cotton T-Shirt, Style G5000, 2-Pack, Black, X-Large