This easy reversible fleece hat pattern is perfect to make and donate to organizations of all kinds.
For years, one of my family’s cool and cold weather reminders was to wear a hat because ‘you lose 40% of your body heat from your head alone.’ So, bringing a hat along was a norm.
It turns out that statement has seen varying “loss of heat” percentages throughout the years, but no matter the number, they’re all false.
That hasn’t changed my behavior, though, as wearing a hat still protects my head from the elements. Not to mention, these fleece hats are just plain comfortable.
Another reason I love these fleece hats? They are a super low-cost project since I can shop fleece remnants when they’re on sale, giving me a very deep discount. So when I shop smart, I typically make these hats for less than a dollar each.
Super Simple Reversible Fleece Beanie Pattern
Materials & Tools To Make A Fleece Hat
– 1/2″ yard of solid color fleece
Starting with solid fleece is easiest because you don’t have to find a pattern than looks good once cut up.
Purchasing solid fleece for hats is also really cost effective because you can shop the sales and remnants at places like JoAnn’s.
– 1/2″ yard solid color fleece (contrasting)
You can have all kinds of fun with the contrasting colors. One side can be the more subdued color and the other can have more punch to it.
Or, in the case of my example above, you can go super bright for people who may be wearing these when it’s dusk or dark.
– Sewing clips
Sewing clips make this super easy to prepare for sewing. In fact, they are one of my five must-have tools for makers. If you don’t have a set already, I highly recommend purchasing some as they are sure to become one of your favorite tools too.
– Create To Donate reversible fleece hat pattern
Download the reversible fleece hat pattern and cut it out. For the hat band piece, you will need to layer the smaller piece on top of the larger piece and tape them together.
If you’re like me and plan to making more than one hat, I recommend cutting the pattern out using a lightweight cardboard cereal box. It makes it easier to handle and will withstand more use over time.
As an Amazon affiliate, I may receive a small commission if you buy a product using one of the links below.
Simple Steps To Make A Fleece Hat!
Here is a step-by-step video on how to make a reversible fleece hat using the free pattern. If you prefer to print out the instructions, there is a print-friendly option at the end of the post.
- 1/2" yard solid color fleece
- 1/2" yard contrasting color fleece
- Sewing clips
- Rotary cutter
- Reversible fleece hat pattern (free)
CUT & PREPARE MATERIALS
- Use the hat band pattern piece to cut one band from each color fleece. Remember to cut on the fold.
- Use the hat panel pattern piece to cut out four pieces from each color of fleece.
- Fold each band pieces so it's right sides together and clip to hold in place and prepare for sewing.
- Take two hat panels of the same color, place them right sides together, and clip.
- Repeat Step 4 with the remaining panel pairs.
FORM & SEW THE HAT SHAPE
- Use a 1/4" seam allowance to sew the open edge of each hat band.
- Use a 1/4" seam allowance to sew only one side of each hat panel. You should start at the bottom edge and sew only to the top peak of the hat. The other side needs to stay open for a future step.
- Place the same color hat panels right sides together and clip.
- Use a 1/4" seam allowance to sew the same color hat panels together. Now you it should start looking more like the top of a hat.
- Turn each completed hat panel right sides out.
- Open the contrasting hat band.
- Line the seam up with one of the hat panel seams while aligning the raw bottom edge of the hat with an edge of the hat band.
- Clip to prepare for sewing.
- Use 1/4" seam allowance to sew the band to the hat panels.
- Repeat Steps 5 - 9 with the second set of hat panels and hat band.
COMPLETE THE HAT
- Unfold both hat bands so that there is two completed hat pieces.
- Turn the hat pieces right sides out.
- Line up the seam of one hat piece with the other hat piece and clip.
- Take one hat piece and turn it right sides out to place over and cover/nest with the other hat piece. If you need a visual, it is demonstrated in the video.
- Clip around the whole edge to prepare for sewing and use the clips to mark a 3" hole for turning.
- Use a 1/4" seam allowance to sew the hat pieces together. Remember to leave the 3" turning hole.
- Turn the hat right sides out.
- Push one color hat inside the other hat to nest them and make it reversible. The right sides of the fabric should be out for both colors.
- Clip around the bottom edge of the hat to hold in place for top stitching.
- Use 1/8" allowance to top stitch around the whole bottom edge.
- If you like to cut through two layers of fleece, I recommend using an older cutting mat since cutting fleece tends to take its toll.
As an member of certain affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Join Our Crafty Crew!
Subscribe to the newsletter to become part of the Create To Donate Crafty Crew if you are looking to make a difference in your communities by supporting organizations in need.
If you would like monthly project inspiration and information straight to your inbox as well as some fun freebies, join our community today.