If you are able to make a basic face shield, there is also an urgent need for these in healthcare environments in addition to face masks.
I have already mentioned the Open Source COVID19 Medical Supplies group on Facebook because they are a great group of people communicating, sharing, creating, and then improving a variety medical supplies whenever possible.
It was through this group that I met Issac from H.O.P.P.E CA and learned about their easy face shield design that you can make for less than $1 each.
It looks like this:
Let’s Make A Shield!
This is a great project for families to do together because much of it requires simple motor function like punching holes, cutting, and tying. So every person in your home could have a “job” in creating something to donate to organizations in need.
Issac stressed that it’s important to buy materials ASAP. We don’t know what will happen in the coming weeks and what will be available to purchase. So, right now, we have to do our best to make as many as we can as quickly as we can to meet the current and future needs.
The materials you need for this basic face shield are:
- foam seal tape (1 inch W x 3/4 H) (you will need a quantity of 4 to make 100 masks)
- rubber bands
- plastic sheets
- hole punch (if you can, other wise you just need something to puncture a clean hole in the plastic)
Here is their video tutorial on how to assemble the face shield:
Written directions are as follows:
- Take one plastic sheet and punch one hole on each side about a 1/2″ away from on the top and side edges of the sheet.
- Lay the plastic down on a flat surface where it won’t slip.
- Cut a 6″ piece of foam, remove the backing, and stick it to the plastic sheet centered between the two holes
- Cut the 8″ rubber band in half then take one side thread it through one of the holes.
- Tie a knot in the rubber band on one side. Leave the other side open so the person receiving it can adjust as they’d like.
- Optional: Round the bottom corners of the plastic to put a finishing touch on the design.
If you don’t already have a donation location in mind, please contact H.O.P.P.E CA to be connected with someone who needs them.
Make Shields, Make A Difference
The beautiful thing about creating things for others is that we are all capable of doing it even if we don’t labels ourselves a “maker” and announce it to the world.
If these face shields are the only thing you make to donate this year, what you do contribute will have a huge impact on your local community as well as the world at large.
So if you are able, please consider purchasing just one set of the materials above and create 100 face shields for organizations in your area or connect with H.O.P.P.E CA to support an organization they they have identified.
Share The Goods
If you are an organization in need of handmade items – not just face masks – please feel free to contact me and let me know more about your needs. There are a lot of people with home studios who want to contribute and are looking for a variety of ways to volunteer.